EH.net is owned and operated by the Economic History Association with the support of other sponsoring organizations.
Vacancy: Russian Speaking Research Officer
For an ERC-funded research project led by Prof. Hans-Joachim Voth on political uncertainty and asset returns in Europe, 1900-1950, the Department of Economics at Pompeu Fabra University seeks to appoint one full-time Research Officer to work with Russian archival sources. The successful candidate will form part of a small team of economists and historians in Barcelona and engage in collecting, transcribing, translating, and analysing financial information from Russian archives. The post holder will benefit from a network of experienced local Research Assistants in Moscow and St Petersburg to help with data collection. This position is initially offered as a one-year contract with a possibility of a one-year extension, commencing in September 2012.
• University degree in a relevant discipline (economics, history, regional studies, etc.)
• Postgraduate qualifications (MA/MSc/MPhil) preferred
• Fluent English and native-level Russian speaker
• Excellent qualitative and quantitative research skills
• Interest in European economic history
• Good working knowledge of MS Office and STATA
• Reliability, initiative, flexibility, attention to detail and strong organisation skills
• Experience of archival research on 20th century sources will be a distinct advantage
• Competitive salary
• Generous annual leave
• Interesting and intellectually stimulating work
• Young multicultural team
• Archival research experience
• Opportunity to attend lectures and seminars at Pompeu Fabra University
• Assistance with finding accommodation
• Subsidised Spanish/Catalan language courses
• Chance to spend a year in the exciting and vibrant city of Barcelona
Applications in English including a CV, a Cover Letter and contact details of two referees should be sent by April 15, 2012 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about Pompeu Fabra University and the Department of Economics please visit: http://www.upf.edu/ and http://www.econ.upf.edu/en/
About Pompeu Fabra University:
Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) is a public university in Barcelona, Spain. It is widely considered to be one of the best public universities in Spain and in Europe, and was ranked 1st in scientific productivity in Spain in 2009. Founded in 1990, the University has seven faculties: Humanities, Health and Life Sciences, Economics, Political and Social Sciences, Communication, Translation and Interpreting, and Law. The academic offer currently includes 19 undergraduate degrees, 37 official masters and 9 PhD programs as well as around 60 UPF masters.